Come on a fieldtrip!
Variety’s Ability in Action Program was created in 1987 to provide interactive awareness activities to learn, play and experience inclusive games or sports. The program emphasizes acceptance, ability based approach through participation. We are pleased to offer a variety of program options for elementary school classes, high-schools, community groups – and now, for parents right from your own home!
Ability in Action: Program Opportunities
An interactive 1-hour virtual program for grades K-1, 2-3, 4-6,7, 8 that is facilitated by a Variety Village Coach. This program highlights the importance of inclusive participation, adapted play, sport and recreation, motivational stories and games.
- Session: September 6 – June 28, 2023.
- 1 hour online through your choice of Zoom or Google Meets
FREE! Virtual Fieldtrip (Pre-recorded)
Come on a virtual fieldtrip! Variety’s Ability in Action program offers kids a virtual interactive experience to promote and learn about inclusion, accessibility and adapted sport. Sign up for Free! Perfect for educators in the classroom or for parents from the comfort of your own home. Click below to get started!
Schools, classes and community organizations come and join us at Variety Village to participate in a variety of games and activities that promote accessibility, adapted sport and inclusion. These activities could include wheelchair sport activities, roller sledge hockey, sitting volleyball, adapted floor hockey, communication activities to name a few.
Off-site: At your Location
Variety Village staff would lead 2 activities for your group at your location. The activities could be wheelchair activities, floor curling, bocce, sitting volleyball.
For more information and registration please contact:
Coordinator, Ability in Action
Phone: 416 699 7167 x281
Fax: 416 699 5752
“Cathy plans our visits with consideration of student needs and accommodates accordingly. We have visited the pool and basketball court virtually through stories and actions as well as watching short videos on what Variety Village is about. Cathy makes the visits fun, upbeat, interactive and she is attentive to what the students say and thoughtful in her interactions and responses with the students.”
– Kathryn Angus, OCT, Special Education, Grade 4-6, DD, TDSB Virtual Elementary School
Making a Difference in Sport & Recreation
Variety Village has been educating individuals, school groups, corporations and community organizations in accessibility and inclusive healthy living options across Ontario for more than 25 years. Last year, 10,000 participants took part in Variety Village’s Outreach programs across the province. As one of the first facilities in North America to promote inclusive sport and recreation, we are proud to invite you to get involved in our exciting initiatives.
- Variety Village is a 168,000 square foot sports and fitness facility in the heart southwest Scarborough providing integrated sports, fitness, life skills and learning programs that impact lives and strengthen communities across the Greater Toronto Area.
- We empower individuals of all ages and abilities by providing accessible, safe, inclusive, and adapted fitness and sports through facilitation, skills transfer, and training.
- Our Outreach and Education programs were created in 1987 to introduce adapted activity ideas to engage individuals with disabilities and their peers in inclusive opportunities. Each program offers practical learning in play, cooperation, individual and team experiences.
- The Inclusive Physical Activity Classes can also provide an introduction to multi-sport or sport-specific activities based on a group’s interests.